Sunday, March 13, 2016

Lemon cupcakes

I made these lemon cupcakes for a lesson I taught at church today.
The topic I was assigned to teach about was Adversity and I don't think it was a coincidence that today is the anniversary of my brothers death. 12 years ago today I was given one of the hardest trials I will ever face. My brother was my best friend! I miss him so much!
I found this recipe on asideofsweet.com

For the vanilla cupcakes: (I doubled this)

  • 1 1/2 cup (170 grams) cake flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick) at room temp
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup milk

For the lemon curd (makes extra):

  • 1/3 cup lemon juice, about 2 lemons
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1 tablespoon heavy cream
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • pinch table salt
I used my Lemon Cream Cheese frosting because it's my favorite.
1/2 cup butter softened
8 oz. cream cheese softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2-1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Zest from one lemon
3 to 31/2 cups powdered sugar
 

Make the vanilla cupcakes:

  1. Combine the dry ingredients. Beat in the butter on medium low. The mixture should resemble coarse sand. Beat in the sugar on low.
  2. Add the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla and milk. Mix until just combined.
  3. Using an ice cream scoop or a spoon, pour into lined cupcake pan until 2/3 full.
  4. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.

Make the lemon curd filling:

  1. Heat lemon juice over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
  2. Meanwhile, whisk eggs and yolk in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in the sugar. While whisking, slowly pour hot lemon juice into the eggs. Return to saucepan and cook over medium heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until mixture registers 170 degrees and coats the back of a spoon.
  3. Remove pan from heat and stir in butter. Once melted, stir in cream, vanilla, and salt.
  4. For a more even texture, strain mixture through a fine-mesh strainer (optional). Curd is able to be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks, just cover with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out.
*I used a cupcake corer to gently hollow out the center of the cupcake. You could use an apple corer too but just don't got far down. 
*I topped these cupcakes with crushed lemon heads.

**update: I have made these a few times and I don't always bake the cake from scratch. Instead 
I have used a cake box with extenders. Here are my favorite things to add to the cake mix:
-an extra egg
-replace water with milk
-1 cup of sour cream

No comments:

Post a Comment