Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Catching Fire Fun!

 I made these for some friends to celebrate the new Catching Fire movie.
 For the fire on these cupcakes I tinted frosting red, orange and yellow.  I added all 3 colors to a piping bag being careful not to mix them too much. Next time I will add less red, it overpowered the other colors.  I printed the Hungar Games symbol and added it to a small sucker stick for the topper.
I used Life Savers to make these fire cupcakes.
 I separated the red, orange and white Life Savers and crushed them in a ziplock baggie.  I covered a cookie sheet with parchment paper then sprinkled the candy in a thin layer on top of each other.  I did 3 different sections putting the colors in a different order in each one.  I don't think it made a difference but it was fun to try.  I baked it for 7 minutes at 350.  Right when it came out I used a knife to smooth and or mix some of it. It turned out more red than I would have liked.  Next time I want to use Butterscotch and Cinnamon discs.
 Once it dried I broke it into shards. I added gold dust to the frosting just for fun.

I'm so excited for the movie!!

No comments:

Post a Comment