Thursday, October 28, 2010

Graveyard fun!


I got to make 2 cakes for 2 different cake walks this year. Ethan and I googled Halloween cakes and both wanted to try the graveyard scene since we've never done it. I thought I would simplify by making the same cake twice. I don't think simple is in my vocabulary when dealing with cakes unfortunately. I wanted to do more than tombstones and ghosts and decided adding a haunted house would be fun.

I saw this haunted house picture in one of my treat magazines and wanted to try a new technique called color flow. It is a type of icing that hardens to use as decorations. It requires color flow mix which includes egg whites. I picked mine up at Joann's. To make the house I put the picture of the house under wax paper and traced it with the thick color flow then filled it in with the thin color flow(just added water to the thick.) It had to dry for at least 2 days. I also tried to make a tree but it didn't turn out so well.

We cut a small piece out of the cake and added bones to the inside of his grave. Ethan loved this part.

I didn't get a close up of the Barry D'Alyve tombstone. I made a zombie hand that came out in front of his tombstone. I cut the hand out of a flattened gumdrop added black fingernailS and attached it to the top of a tootsie roll by cutting a slit in it. For the fence I just dipped pretzels in black chocolate.

This is the 2nd one I made. Due to the high humidity (it's been raining like crazy) I had to get up at 5 am to assemble this one to get it to school by 7:30. I couldn't let it sit over night. They were fun to assemble but not in the humidity. It's a miracle the fence and house stayed up while transfering them.
Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

  1. I loooovee these!! So cute and creative. I was sad I couldn't make anything cute for Corbin's class this year because they only will let us bring pre-packaged treats from the store. :( I love the pretzels - so creative!

    ReplyDelete