Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Halloween Fun

 These were for the Halloween party at church.  I had some of our Young Women help.  It was so much fun!
 I made some more spider webs but since these weren't for Ethan I could put a "cute" little spider on top.
 I found these Frankenstein marshmallows online and since I had all the ingredients I thought it would be fun to give them a try.  I used some left over black fondant for the neck thing, green candy melts, green frosting for the eyebrow, and black icing for the hair (grass tip.)


 Fondant ghosts:
Marshmallow Fondant

  • 4 cups Loosely Packed Mini Marshmallows
  • 2 Tablespoons Water
  • 4 cups Powdered Sugar, Plus Additional For Dusting
  • 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Shortening

To make marshmallow fondant, place marshmallows and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave 1 minute on high; stir until marshmallows are melted and blended.
Place confectioners’ sugar on top of the melted marshmallow mixture in the bowl. Fold sugar into marshmallow mixture with a shortening-greased wooden spoon. Place shortening nearby your workspace so you can reach into it with fingers.
Grease hands and counter generously. Dust counter with extra powdered sugar.
Turn marshmallow mixture onto counter; it will be sticky. Knead like you would dough, until fondant pulls into a firm, smooth ball, that can stretch with no tearing. Add enough confectioners’ sugar in between to avoid sticking. If the marshmallow fondant is tearing easily, add 1/2 teaspoon of water at a time. *Being in the South I didn't have to add any extra water or sugar. It was perfect.
Always cover fondant with plastic wrap. Any unused fondant can be stored in double plastic wrap so it does not dry and crack.
I rolled out the fondant used a large round glass to cut circles and then draped it over a small sucker. I used a styrofoam block to hold the sucker until I was ready to add it to the cupcake.  I shaped them to look more ghostly and then added the eyes and mouth with black frosting. 
 I piped on the orange frosting but waited until I was at the church to add the ghosts.  They are heavy and would have fallen over during transport.
 BOO!
I did make some more broken glass cupcakes for the older kids but it just didn't go well with these other cute little monsters.  Thanks girls for all your help!

No comments:

Post a Comment