Saturday, January 18, 2014

Winter One-derland Party

 I made these for my neighbors little girl Lola who turned one.  The theme was Winter Onederland. Her colors were pink, silver, and white.  So cute!
 I made marshmallow fondant for one of the toppers using this recipe:
Marshmallow Fondant
4 cups Loosely Packed Mini Marshmallows
  • 2 Tablespoons Water (less if adding flavoring)
  • 4 cups Powdered Sugar, Plus Additional For Dusting
  • 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Shortening
  • 1 tsp clear flavoring (vanilla, peppermint, etc)  if desired
To make marshmallow fondant, place marshmallows and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave 1 minute on high; stir until marshmallows are melted and blended.
Place confectioners’ sugar on top of the melted marshmallow mixture in the bowl. Fold sugar into marshmallow mixture with a shortening-greased wooden spoon. Place shortening nearby your workspace so you can reach into it with fingers.
Grease hands and counter generously. Dust counter with extra powdered sugar.
Turn marshmallow mixture onto counter; it will be sticky. Knead like you would dough, until fondant pulls into a firm, smooth ball, that can stretch with no tearing. Add enough confectioners’ sugar in between to avoid sticking. If the marshmallow fondant is tearing easily, add 1/2 teaspoon of water at a time. *Being in the South I didn't have to add any extra water or sugar. It was perfect.
Always cover fondant with plastic wrap. Any unused fondant can be stored in double plastic wrap so it does not dry and crack.
*I rolled out the fondant and used a snowflake cookie cutter to make the shape.  I then spray painted it with edible silver color spray I found at Wal-Mart.  Once that dried I used pink frosting to make the snowflake design,.
 For the second topper I used white chocolate and piped snowflakes onto wax paper.  I looked up snowflake images online to copy some designs. I used silver pearls to accent some of the flakes.
 I baked strawberry cupcakes and made regular white cream cheese frosting:
Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter softened
1 tsp. vanilla
4 1/2 to 4 3/4 cups powdered sugar
               and
Strawberry frosting
1 stick butter
16 oz. powdered sugar
1/4 cup mashed strawberries
6 ounces of cream cheese
1 tsp. of vanilla.
As you can tell this frosting doesn't pipe too well because it's more sticky but it tastes yummy!

Happy Birthday Lola! Thanks for letting me be a part of your special day!

No comments:

Post a Comment